National Level RTI : Archives
Activities & Advocacy
The University Grants Commission as a follow up to the implementation of the Right to Information Act, 2005 is going to release a draft RTI policy guideline for universities. The Draft UGC RTI Policy aims at enabling students and parents in to know about the working of their universities and thereby promote greater transparency.
The NCPRI has released a press statement voicing its concerns over the recent controversy surrounding the appointment of Karnataka Chief Information Commissioner, K K Misra. Expressing solidarity with concerns raised over the appoinment, the NCPRI also expressed its discomfort over the methods being adopted to make appointments and the tendency to appoint retired civil servants as Information Commissioners. The NCPRI has emphasised the need for transparency in the selection and appointment process and the need for the government to willing justify in public the qualifications and justifications of those nominated for appointment.
In July 2005, the National Campaign for the People's Right to Information submitted model NCPRI RTI Rules to the Central Government for consideration when drafting national RTI Rules. CHRI was part of this drafting process, but in June 2005 prior to finalisation of the NCPRI draft Rules, CHRI also sent the Government an initial set of CHRI draft RTI Rules.
Resources & Articles
- CHRI (2004) Analysis of the Freedom of Information Act 2002 and Recommendations. Click here for Hindi Version.
- CHRI (2004) Submission regarding the draft NAC Recommendations re Amending the FOI Act 2002.
- CHRI (2004) Comparative table of State and Central RTI legislation.
- CHRI (2004) Comparative table of State and Central legislation exemption clauses.
- For information on CHRI's national RTI workshops, click here.
- For CHRI's RTI training materials, click here.
- For CHRI's posters on RTI click here.
- Aditi Datta (2004) Whistleblowers in East & West! February, The Hindu.
- CHRI (2003) Open Sesame Looking For the Right to Information in the Commonwealth. (Full Report).
- CHRI (2003) Open Sesame Looking For the Right to Information in the Commonwealth. (Executive Summary).
- Abha Singhal Joshi (2003) Aapka Soochna ka Adhikaar (Hindi), CHRI.
- Aditi Datta (2003) Online land records available in Rajasthan.
- Aditi Datta (2003) Case for whistle blowing law in India.
- Abha Singhal Joshi, Ananya Das Gupta (2002) Your Right to Information (English), CHRI.
- CHRI (2001) Submissions to Legislature on a Right to Information Law-Freedom of Information Bill.
- CHRI (2001) Submissions to the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Right to Information.
- Abha Singla Joshi (2000) Soochna Swatantra Vidhayak: Kya Band Darwaje Khulega? (Hindi) CHRI.
- Abha Joshi (2000) Submissions to Legislature on a Right to Information Law, CHRI.
- Harsh Mander & Abha Singhal Joshi (1999) The Movement for Right to Information in India People's Power for the Control of Corruption,CHRI.
- CHRI (1997) Comments and Recommendations for a Right to Information Law on the draft prepared by the governmental committee on Right to Information.
- Deepika Mogilishetty-Farias (undated) The Freedom of Information Bill 2002---A comparative perspective, CHRI.
- CHRI (undated) Legislation and Draft Bills on Right to Information in India.
- CHRI (undated) Development on Right to Information in India.
- Sandy Feinzig ,Swasti Rana (undated) The Importance of Right to Information in Education: Putting a Human Face on a Fundamental Right, CHRI.
- Swasti Rana (undated) Jan Sunvai: Right to Information now a reality,CHRI.
- Debashish Sankhari (undated) Right to Information as a Human Right and Developments in India--- Presentation at Sarai, CHRI.
- Subramaniam Vincent (2004) The Pressure for Accountability, 11 August, Deccan Herald.
- National Advisory Council (2004) Draft NAC Recommendations re Amending the FOI Act 2002, July 2004.
- NCPRI (2004) Draft National Campaign for the People's Right to Information Recommendations re Amending the Central FOI Act 2002, submitted to National Advisory Council, July 2004.
- Ritu Sarin (2004) To get your right to know, you will have to wait longer, The Indian Express, 26 April.
- A.K. Bhattacharya (2003) We now have the right to information. Really?, 24 December, www. rediff.com.
- Staff Reporter (2003) Centre's right to information bill stuck in red-tape, 12 August, The Indian Express.
- Anu Kumar (2003) Background and Perspectives on the Right to Information in India, June, InfoChange.
- Staff Reporter (2002) Right to know a reality soon, 16 December,Times News Network.
- Olav Albuquerque (2001) For Official Eyes Only: Citizens Not in the Information Loop, 15 August, Editorial, Times of India.
- R.M. Pal (2000) Right To Information and Empowerment of People, October, PUCL Bulletin.
- Article 19, the Global Campaign for Free Expression (2000)Memorandum on The Indian Freedom of Information Bill, December.
- Research, Reference and Training Division (2000) Right to Information in India, RIS/3/2000, National Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
- Santosh Mathew (2000) Film: "Right to Information" (short clipping) 50 Second (950kb). Download Entire Film 17.4mb (Requires windows Media Player), directed by Anurag Singh, developed for Ministry of Rural Development.
- Rakesh Bhatnagar (2000) Legal View: Bill may not free information flow, 4 August, Times News Network.
- Harsh Mander (1999) Towards a Methodology for People's Audit, September, Lokayan Bulletin.
- Prof. Manubhai Shah (undated) Romance with Right to Information.
- Bharat Karnad (undated) Paranoia, Vested Interests and the Indian State.
- Cushrow Irani (undated) The Relevance of a Freedom of Information Act.
- Rani Advani (undated) The Right To Information Law In India----A Comparative Picture.
- Madhav Godbole (undated) Unending Struggle for Right to Information.