Level RTI: Haryana
May 2005, the national Right
to Information Act 2005 was passed by Parliament. The RTI Act
2005 received Presidential assent on 15 June and came fully into
force on 12 October 2005. (For more information on the passage of
the RTI Act 2005 and implementation at the national level, click
The RTI Act 2005 covers all Central, State and local government
bodies and applies to the State Government of Haryana.
The Haryana Government has been implementing the RTI Act since 2005.
to view the Haryana Right to Information Rules, 2005. In 2009, Haryana Government notified a new set of RTI Rules, Haryana Right to Information Rules, 2009.
Second Appeals and complaints against non-disclosure of information may be filed with the Haryana State Information Commission.
Mr. G Madhavan
State Chief Information Commissioner
Off: 0172-2793628 / 2726568 / 2793628(R)
Fax: 0172- 2726568
Meenakshi Anand Choudhry IAS (Retd)
State Information Commissioner
Off: 0172-2783621(O) / 2543505(R)
Activities & Advocacy
- The Haryana government is taking a number of steps to facilitate citizenís access to information under the RTI Act 2005. a) The Haryana government has decided to start a call centre - based helpline for effective implementation of the Right to Information Act. According to the Chief Secretary Dharamvir, this call centre would start from September 2008. The helpline would be a toll-free number and would work on all 7 days. b) In addition a RTI Cell would be created in the office of the Chief Secretary immediately and it would be designated as Assistant Public Information Officer (APIO). Its main function would be to coordinate RTI work with different departments. c) In order to facilitate information seekers in payment of fee, a payment gateway would be incorporated with the web portal. Payment of fees through affixation of court fee stamps would also be considered as a mode of payment of fee wherever RTI applications are filed manually. d) In order to provide guidance to information seekers, it has also been decided to open a counter at the e-DISHA centers or offices of the Deputy Commissioners in districts with an official who would be designated as APIO. (26.08.2008)
- Former Chief Secretary, Mr
G Madhwan has been appointed as the Chief Information Commissioner
of the State. Haryana Governor A.R. Kidwai administered the
oath of office to Mr. G. Madhwan on November 1, 2005 at Raj Bhawan.
- The Haryana Government has directed all departments
and senior officials to implement the RTI Act 2005 to ''promote
openness, transparency and accountability in the working of every
public authority and create a new work culture.'' A communication
in this regard has been sent to Commissioners of all Divisions,
all Deputy Commissioners, Sub-Divisional Officers (Civil), all
Chief Administrators and Managing Directors of Boards and Corporations.
- CHRI (2005) Forwarding Information Requests and
Appeals: A Step by Step Guide for Assistant Public Information
Officers under the Right to Information Act 2005, prepared by
Mr Venkatesh Nayak.
- CHRI (2005) Processing Information Requests:
A Step by Step Guide for Assistant Public Information Officers
under the Right to Information Act 2005, prepared by Mr Venkatesh
To update us on your RTI activities / share your RTI stories