Notice inviting proposals to develop
Information Education and Communications material (IEC) on
India’s Right to Information Act, 2005
for the deaf and hard of hearing in Indian Sign Language
The Commonwealth Human Rights Initiative (CHRI) is an independent, non-governmental, non-profit organisation headquartered in New Delhi, with offices in London, United Kingdom, and Accra, Ghana. In India, CHRI is working on access to information, access to justice (police and prison reforms) and international human rights advocacy for over the last 25 years.
CHRI works with organisations and activists in the disability rights sector to help empower persons with disabilities to secure their rightful entitlements guaranteed through the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016 (RPwD Act) by using the Right to Information Act, 2005 as a tool for information gathering.
The RTI Act gives effect to people’s fundamental right to seek and obtain information from public authorities. Many people are unable to use the RTI Act to demand transparency and accountability from governments because of their disabilities. There are limited educational materials about RTI which are available publicly to convey knowledge of the procedures for accessing information to persons with disabilities. A few years ago, CHRI’s popular English language User Guide on the RTI Act was converted into an audio-book for the benefit of blind persons by VSO’s India chapter. CHRI now plans to develop information, education and communication (IEC) materials on RTI procedures for the deaf and hard of hearing.
CHRI invites proposals in electronic form from knowledgeable and experienced entities based in India for developing and disseminating an IEC product which explains the basic procedures of seeking and obtaining information in sign language to viewers familiar with Hindi and/or English.
Product specification: The IEC product must be of 8-10min. duration in Indian Sign Language conveying the message in Hindi with subtitles in English.
Product launch: The IEC product is required to be developed for dissemination by 20th November, 2020.
The following are the essential components of the IEC product proposed to be developed:
CHRI will provide expert resource persons, case studies and materials related to RPwD Act and RTI Act to the successful bidder at no extra cost to the bidder.
Important: Proposals will be treated as complete only if they contain the following components:
1. The detailing of the proposal, plans of action and the budget will be a major factor for consideration by CHRI’s tender evaluation committee.
2. Incomplete proposals missing any of the details mentioned above are liable to be summarily rejected by the tender evaluation committee.
3. Deadline for submission of the detailed proposal with plans of action and item-wise budget is 12 noon of 18th October 2020.
4. All complete proposals with item-wise budget must be sent by email only and addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org [D. Mohan Sundaram, Manager Administration, Commonwealth Human Rights Initiative, #55A, 3rd Floor, Siddharth Chambers-1, Kalu Sarai, New Delhi – 110 016]. As CHRI’s office is not fully functional due to the COVID epidemic, proposals sent by post are likely to remain undelivered.
5. All complete proposals received in accordance with this call will be evaluated by a tender evaluation committee constituted for this purpose with an external expert on Indian Sign Language.
6. CHRI will contact the successful bidder on phone and/or email and the comparative chart of the bids received will be uploaded on the website upon completion of the tender evaluation process.
7. CHRI reserves the right to cancel this call for proposals, at its discretion, at any point of time.
8. Canvassing with any CHRI functionary in any manner prior to the completion of this tender process will be a valid ground for disqualifying a complete proposal or a potential bidder.
9. Any clarification or technical query before submitting the proposal can be addressed to the undersigned at email@example.com
D. Mohan Sundaram
CHRI, New Delhi