Land Area : 803,940 sq km
Head of Government :Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz (since 28 August 2004)
Population :162,419,946 (July 2005 est.)
Major Languages :Punjabi 48%, Sindhi 12%, Siraiki (a Punjabi variant) 10%, Pashtu 8%, Urdu (official) 8%, Balochi 3%, Hindko 2%, Brahui 1%, English
Major Religion(s) : Muslim 97% (Sunni 77%, Shi'a 20%), Christian, Hindu, and other 3%
Date of Joining : 1989
Crisis in Pakistan - State of Emergency: 3 November - 15 December 2007
CHRI Submissions to CMAG :
22 November 2007
12 November 2007 September 2005 September 2004 April 2004 December 2003
Articles from CHRI Newsletter :
- The National Commission for Human Rights Bill, 2005: Pakistan's Defining Moment for Human Rights, Mandeep Tiwana, CHRI Newsletter, Volume 12, Number 2, Summer 2005.
- Police Reforms in Pakistan: A Step Forward, CHRI Newsletter, Volume 12, Number 1, Spring 2005.
- Damaging Democracy- Pakistan's Unfair Elections, Richard Bourne, Chair, Trustee Committee, CHRI, London, CHRI Newsletter, Volume 9, Number 3, Winter 2002.
Articles from E-Magazine:
- Politics Determines Policing: Pakistan Case Study, Swati Mehta, Commonwealth Police Watch E-Magazine, Vol. 3, June 2005.
- A modicum of respect is all that women in Pakistan are asking for..., Commonwealth Police Watch E-Magazine, Vol. 2, April 2005.
- Penciling in the crimes, Commonwealth Police Watch E-Magazine, Vol. 3, June 2005.
Articles from RTI Updates:
- Transparency bill sent to Senate sectt, The Dawn Group of Newspapers, 14 December 2004.
- MMA bill to amend treason law rejected, The Dawn Group of Newspapers, 13 October 2004.
- Freedom of Information Rules notified, The Dawn Group of Newspapers, 22 June 2004.
- New "Procurement Manual" to ensure transparency in CDGK procurement Process, TI Daily Corruption News Full Text Service, The Pakistan Newswire, 12 Apr 2004.
- Absence of Rules is No Excuse to Deny Information under the Freedom of Information (FOI) Ordinance 2002, Declares Wafaqi Mohtasib, 12 April 2004, Mukhtar Ahmad Ali, Executive Coordinator (Consumer Rights Commission of Pakistan?).
Bills/Laws/Acts from RTI: